Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dear Writer Whose Book I Don't Prefer,

This is to set your mind at ease. I will not review your latest release, even if you provided it as an ARC [advance reader copy]. You wouldn't want me to. Besides, I didn't even finish it.

Please don't take offense. Not every book is for every reader. I'm sure you know that. You're receiving much acclaim for your skill as a novelist, acknowledgement you well deserve. Congratulations on your success. It's just that this latest work becomes very dark very quickly. I found it oppressive. Horror, explicit crime, and anything that reeks of the occult or guts and gore I quickly exit, if ever I dared to crack it open. It's not that I read only "Christian" fiction, because my tastes do extend into the secular, but anything worth my time needs to respect the Christian world view--and yours does that. Fact is, some Christian fiction, including your book, leads to places I don't want to go.

I respect that many of your readers already are hooked on your genre in its secular form and that you offer an alternative that points to Christ. That's commendable. Nonetheless, I had to close the book and play some traditional jazz on Pandora to escape the thundercloud that threatened to rain down on my head.

While I won't review your book, many faithful readers will, and I'm thankful for that.

Write on!
Because of Christ,
Sharon

"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." ~Proverbs 4:23 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment