Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Write On!

This morning, I read literary agent Rachelle Gardner's blog article "Do You Have a Thick Skin." It was so refreshing, going beyond the usual "buck up, little camper" advice writers get after criticism or rejection.

I smiled as I read her response. Like Rachelle, I'll never have so tough a skin that criticism or rejection won't hurt. God didn't wire me that way.

Of course, it hurts. First I cry. Then I grumble to a friend or daughter. Next, I do what I should have done first--climb up in Abba's lap and pour out my heart to Him.

Lastly, I remember what Mama always, always said when classmates would laugh at my clothes or my nose or my little crooked toes: "Consider the source, Sharon Kay." Does that person's opinion really matter in the grand scheme of things? Did he raise valid points? Is she being snarky or honest? Does he know what he's talking about?

After my pity party and my time with the Lord, I'm in a frame of mind to sort through the criticism, glean the gold and toss the dross.

And though it's been a long time coming, I've learned to get my bohonkus back in the chair and write, in spite of disappointment.

Write on!

Because of Christ,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment